Hoping to evolve past decades-old debate stalemates, I look forward to a fresh conversation about whether we would consider a new era of using nuclear power in the United States. Much like how Cold War rhetoric still pervades our national security dialogue, I fear that the rhetoric around whether nuclear power generation can be openly accepted in today's society suffers the same malady.
My belief is that nuclear power can be a wonderful asset in the future mix of electrical generation if done well. My concern is that nuclear power, as it has been managed in the US over the past 50 years, hasn't earned the legitimate general public trust. The landscape for business and finance has changed drastically since nuclear power was last called for (over thirty years ago).
I look forward to learning in this public form, and I invite anyone interested to join me in a respectful, factual, and authentic dialogue. Personally, I'm not attached to whether nuclear power will continue or grow in the US - I'm most interested in finding a "Third Way" to have public conversations above the old, tired arguments for and against. And at the end of the process, I believe we'll have our answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment